It’s probably a term you hear all to often when creating content for your website, but do you ever ask yourself, ‘What is a Keyword’? Well, in short, A ‘Keyword’ is a word or phrase that is a topic of significance on your website.
When potential customer use a search engine (such as Google), they will use keywords as a way to specify and identify the topic they’re looking for information on.
Before writing content for your website, it’s often a good idea to think about the keywords that potential customers and visitors to your site will use to search for your content. Once you have identified these keywords (terms and/or phrases), Integrate them organically into your website content and even build specific pages around them.
If you sell selfie sticks, you can add “buy selfie sticks” as a keyword within your website content or even set this up as a dedicated page. When people type “buy self stick” via Google search (or another search engine), your website is more likely to appear on the search results page as a match to that search term or keyword.
With your business website, you should try and create content around your key products and/or services (also known as relevant topics) name these based on the keywords that you think customers would use to find them. This will help to increase your chances of your website ranking on Google as the most relevant to that search term, ie; keyword.
It is our understanding that most people who search using keywords via Google will generally only look through the first three pages of listing. If your website is not ranking for that keyword (or search term) then you can consider it a potential lost lead.
Working on keywords requires significant time dedicated to ensuring your content and search terms are relevant. Google now has over 40,000 search queries every second, so it is important to spend the time on your websites keywords to ensure your content and website can be found.
Why do you need keywords?
- Keywords are words, phrases or terms that people use to search the internet for relevant content.
- Selecting high quality, relevant keywords to use within your website can help you reach potential clients or visitors to your site.
- Keywords are the foundation of your website content. The topic of every page and what it is about should be formulated on a keyword or keyword phrase. Since keywords are topics, they are also relevant when creating marketing offers and emails.
- Keywords help visitors and potential customers understand the purpose of your page. When reading the content of the page, a visitor will often scan for the keywords they searched for to ensure the page is a relevant match.
- Keywords help search engines understand the purpose of your page. When a search engine crawls your website pages to index them, it will pass the keywords on the page to determine the purpose of your page.
When searching for ‘Bunnings Warehouse’ it’s likely you will search for ‘Bunnings’, ‘Tools’, or specific hardwear products within your area. Within their website content ‘Bunnings’ will have used keywords to enhance the ‘match’ so that their site is listed when you search a relevant keyword via a search engine, such as Google.
By integrating local names/terms into your content will help to ‘match’ your content with localised searching.
If you are looking for ‘Cafe’s in Newcastle’ those businesses that have used the search term (keyword) ‘Newcastle’ within their website content, will come up as the most relevant to your search query.
If you need any more information contact our studio or send us an email to make an appointment.